Sacré-Cœur

Of all of the amazing places in Paris the Sacré-Cœur is one of my favourites. If you haven’t been there I almost demand you get on a plane to Paris right now.  Seriously get onto the easyjet website and book up your flight.

Whilst it’s known as Sacré-Cœur the official name is the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris and your can find it in Montmartre. I have stayed in this area on my last two trips to Paris and have stood and stared for many an hour at this amazing Basilica.

It was built between 1875 and 1914 on the place where Saint Denis (the first ever Bishop of Paris) was decapitated for his faith. Which sounds barbaric now but then again we’ve obviously not learnt from history as you would have thought people would have stopped killing other people for their faith- that’s a post for another day!

The Sacré-Cœur is beautiful inside and out. It is free to go inside and is open from 6am till 10.30 pm every day. There is crypt underneath the basilica however according to the website is currently closed. You are also able to climb the Dome of the Basilica. Entrance is outside to the left (you also can also access the crypt at the same place).

I would thoroughly recommend climbing the 300 stairs to the top of the Dome. The views are spectacular and you see more of Paris then you could imagine. You also have the Eiffel Tower in sight which is certainly high on the list of ways you should see the tower. The walk up isn’t too challenging but it is steep and narrow in some places and you just need to take it at your own pace. Honestly once you see the views you will forget about the steps . After that bit of exercise you also earn yourself a pain au chocolat #winning.

There is an admission charge and the opening times do depend on the season.  So do check when planning your visit. One thing to note is there is always a lot of people trying to put thread bracelets on you for money. This is quite off putting but as long as you say no they generally go away but it is quite annoying.

Visiting this beautiful place has to be on your list when visiting this stunning city.  If I’ve not convinced you enough with my words then I shall let my pictures do the talking…

1. Debbie H says:

Love this place and your photos show it off beautifully!

1. Thanks! Wish we could go back to the oasis behind the gates. Was such a good trip

1. Debbie H says:

I was thinking the exact same thing!! What an Oasis it was! ❤️

2. Its beautiful. I am planning on visiting this amazing place again in August this year when I will be in France.

1. Ohhh lucky you! Where else in France are you going to?

1. We are flying into Nice, then doing a cruise up the Rhine, then a cruise up the Seine.

3. globalhousesitterX2 says:

Yes, I too enjoy Paris, and love to read somewhere I have not been into, have a good one Melanie x

4. I been there but I didn’t go inside because there were so many people. If I make it back, I will go early in the day to avoid the crowds.

1. Yes it can get so crowded. Inside is worth a walk round and I’d always go back up the top it’s such a beautiful view.

5. Ritu says:

Great photos!
    I have been outside the Sacre Coeur but at 7 months pregnant, the stairs would have been a little tough to handle! One day we will go back!!!

6. noellekelly says:

This is a stunning spot! I have a severe case of wanderlust today!

7. I just returned from Paris too and I also stayed near the sacred heart. Such a beautiful city I miss it already

1. It’s one of my favourite cities! Hope you had an amazing time there x

8. niicolee00 says:

I do most of my travelling via imagination while looking through travel blogs 🙂 so thanks for sharing this gorgeous location with your readers!

9. Ruth Daly says:

I’ve only been to Paris once and didn’t get to see this so it’s definitely on my list for next time. I love those photos overlooking the city – breathtaking!

1. Yes you should defo put it on your list for next time. The views are lovely aren’t they!

10. Oh yes! This brings back memories of visiting Sacre-Coeur many years ago! I don’t remember going in but I do remember the spectacular views it afforded of Paris! It’s so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!!!!

1. Thank you for stopping by! It’s a beautiful part of Paris

11. lollowe says:

gorgeous photos (as always!) – It’s got to be 20+ years since I last went, but this makes me want to go again x

1. Oh thank you so much xx

12. lindahobden says:

The Sacre Coeur & Montmartre area of Paris are my favourite Parisienne haunts. Thanks for sharing your bloglink & photos – you’ve brought back good memories! 😊

1. Glad it brought back good memories! It’s my fav part of Paris x

13. Trudy says:

Such lovely pictures and a very informative post!

1. Thanks so much! Much appreciated x

14. Claire Wong says:

Such a beautiful place. My key memory from visiting Sacre-Coeur is a nun in the church singing from an overhead gallery!

1. Oh wow that would have been an amazing experience!

15. prernagargagarwal says:

I have been wanting to visit Paris since forever. And, looking at your breathtaking pictures, my urge has only gotten stronger! Brilliant pictures you’ve got on your post!
    xoxoxo

– Prerna / http://www.prernashighonchai.com

1. Thanks so much. You should get it a Paris it’s beautiful!!

16. raisingyourpetsnaturally says:

That is really neat that it’s free for the morning hours. What a great bonus for a traveler. I would so love to explore outside of the US, but I’m not ready to leave my dog behind. 🙂

1. It must be so hard but there is so many amazing places I the US I’m sure you get to explore

17. Such great pictures you made and really interesting to hear a little bit of history! That view is just amazing. I can imagine it was worth the 300 steps of stairs!

1. Thanks so much. The view is stunning. Totally worth the huffing and puffing up the stairs

18. Court says:

I will be visiting Paris for 5 days in October! I will have to add this destination to my list. Thanks for sharing 🙂

1. Yes make sure you get there! It’s a lovely place

19. You are putting my visit here to shame!!! lol….all I did was hang out on the steps LOLOL. Beautiful pictures!!

1. Haha to be fair hanging out on the steps with this behind you is still awesome 🙂 thanks for your kind comments x

20. ajennysaved says:

Such a beautiful place to visit, such lovely photos !