15 Reasons to Visit Venice

1. Getting lost is the BEST way to explore
  2. Try to visit in Spring or Autumn as these are the best seasons to explore.
  3. It will be weird to not see cars but you won’t realise this till you head back to the airport
  4. There are 417 bridges in Venice. I dare you to try and cross them all. The Rialto bridge is one you need to both walk over and sail under.
  5. Factor in the cost for a Vaporetto pass as this will help with your exploring. It will save your achy feet and really you have to see Venice from the canals as much as possible.
  6. Every corner, bridge and canal is a picture perfect moment so get ready to get snapping.
  7. Don’t just stay in Venice get out and explore the other islands in the lagoon like Burano, Lido and Murano
  8. You can hire bikes and ride around Lido (fun fact this is where the Venice Film Festival is held)
  9. A Gondola ride is going to be pricey but where else can you do this? Surely the experience far outweighs the expense.
  10. Visit Burano to see the amazing coloured houses and eat the ‘s’ shaped cookies this island is known for
  11. When in St Mark’s Square ensure you go up the Bell Tower. You get to see a different side of Venice and the lagoon
  12. As frustrating as wet shoes will be experiencing Acqua alta is soo interesting to witness. Ovs not ideal for the locals though and there is a lot of working being done to minimise it. It has also been said to be one of the reasons people move out of Venice
  13. You need to buy a carnival mask in Venice even if you aren’t there during carnival
  14. Try to eat away from the St Mark’s Square as it is pricey in this area. You will have just as beautiful buildings to look at a few streets back
  15. Get up early or stay up late and visit some of the more touristy sights so you can marvel at the magic of the city on your own.

1. Debbie H says:

This looks amazing! Love all your photos and now it’s on my list 🙂

1. Thanks! Can’t believe you’ve not been there yet! Maybe your next trip and we could go together??? X

1. Debbie H says:

Sounds like a great idea – book it in!

2. Modern Gypsy says:

Venice is on my bucket list. These photographs are stunning!!

1. Thanks so much it’s easy to take a beautiful picture in Venice. Everywhere is beautiful x

3. Ritu says:

I’d love to visit Venice!!!

1. Ritu says:

One day… God willing!!!

4. Gay Stepdad says:

Never really thought about going to Venice until I saw these pictures!

1. It’s just a really stunning place. You should defo go and explore!!

5. I went to Venice when I was about ten years old so wasn’t at an age where I could fully appreciate it… I remember really fat pigeons and loving the Venetian masks but that’s about it! I’d love to revisit, and your photos are beautiful!

1. Haha fat pigeons!! It’s gorgeous there I can’t wait to go back again already!

6. The timing on this post is perfect. My wife and I are leaving for Venice in about a week. I’ll be sure to commit as much of this to memory as I can.

7. Lisa Orchard says:

This looks like a great trip and your pictures are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

1. Thanks so much. Everywhere is a perfect photo in Venice

1. Lisa Orchard says:

I’ll have to put this on my bucket list! Thanks for sharing!

8. Trudy says:

I love your photos! I also followed on Instagram and saw that you were in my neck of the woods recently. Very cool! I hope that you enjoyed your visit to New York too!

1. Thanks so much!! I just followed you bacl on Insta. Yes was in NYC last year for the 2nd time. LOVE it there and hopefully getting back over there soon so will need some local tips x

1. Trudy says:

You’re welcome! I’ll be glad to help!

9. Reblogged this on Suzie Speaks and commented:
    Really lovely post about Venice here from Melanie! Please don’t like or comment on my reblog – hop on over to her blog and say hello!

1. So kind! Thanks Suzie x

10. Thank you for these gorgeous shots of Venice and its environs. It is a magical city. When I first saw it, I thought, “I dreamed this city, and someone was kind enough to build it for me.”

1. I love that!! It truly is so magical.

11. Traci York says:

Your pictures are AMAZING! I’d love to visit someday!

1. Thanks so much!! You certainly should visit Venice is amazing! Xx

12. Great photos, definitely want to visit there someday!

1. You really should it’s beautiful!

13. emfletche says:

Great list! I especially agree about getting a multi-day pass for the vaporetto…best money we spent!

1. Yeah us to. Thanks for liking the list was hard to limit myself 😂

14. Did you get to visit Lido and Murano as well? Murano was the island we stayed on. Absolutely stunning glass art! Burano sounds awesome as well. Did you end up purchasing the purple mask pictured? I also wrote 2 blog posts about Venice and Murano ;D. Great list!!

15. Nomad says:

I love Venice. It’s too bad I broke my camera on my last trip there and lost all of my photos of a clear beautiful day! I have yet another reason to go again!