Geothermal Wonders at Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland in New Zealand

Have you ever wanted to experience what it must be like in middle earth or even what it could be like walking around on another planet, well if your answer is yes then you need to get yourself Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland, New Zealand.

Everyone knows that Rotorua is the home of the Geothermal activity in New Zealand and it truly lives up to that status. We weren’t entirely sure what we would be expecting when we got there- maybe some mud pools, a geyser erupting if we were lucky and maybe a hole or two in the ground looking into the earth’s core. What we weren’t expecting was all the colours of the rainbow, sulphur smells and one of the most beautiful and surprising landscapes I have ever witnessed.

The first thing I liked about Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland is that it didn’t seem overly commercial like you would expect within this area. We also visited in the height of summer and whilst there was a lot of people there due to the size of the park it didn’t feel crowded. There was no queue to get in and once we started our short walk to the park we stepped into another world.

Around the park are all sorts of geothermal wonders with lots of sign posts to not only tell you what you are looking at but the science and geology behind the intriguing landscape.  You will find mud pools, caves, sulphur mounds, holes in the earth, forests, lakes, pools, water in every shade of blue and many signs with a ‘dont step here it’s 100 degrees).

There are three walks that you can do around the park and I suggest you do them all so you don’t miss a thing. It’s roughly around a 5k walk but don’t let that put you off. The walks are easy but I would suggest good footwear as the paths can be a light uneven in places. We spent the best part of a day here and it was needed there was so much to see. If you can try and get there for 10.15am to see Lady Knox Geyser erupt. We didn’t get there that early and I really wish we did! There is also some mud pools 10 min drive down the road which is worth a visit. Seeing mud bubble is so captivating. I swear I was transfixed for a good 20 min.

Whilst there is so much to see I did have a couple of favourite places in the park – Artist’s Palette, The Champagne Pool, Oyster Pool,  Devil’s Ink pots and the fluorescently coloured Devils Bath.

The Artist’s pallet is a place where you see the rainbow laid out horizontally. It’s contrasted so well against the grey silt on the other side of the boardwalk across the two pools. Right next to the Artist Palette is the vibrant blues and oranges of the Champagne pool.

The Devil has many places here from his (or her) home, ink pots and even a pool. The
Devils Home is a huge hole with yellow sulphur edges.The ink pots are three pools of pitch black bubbling away waiting for the devil to dip his ink pens in and do some fabulous calligraphy.  As you come to the end of the park and just when you have through you have seen everything imaginable you come across this fluorescent yellow pool (#notfilter) and this is aptly named the Devil’s Bath.

This was one of the best things we did in New Zealand and it wasn’t even on our initial ‘to visit’ list we kinda of just got there by accident and I am so glad we did. Seeing nature like this really just opens your eyes up to how amazing the world really is.

Finer details
-Cost NZD 32.50 adult, NZD 11 children or NZD 80 for  family ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children)
– You’ll get a map of the park including the walks and points of interest when you purchase a ticket
– Open all year round. In Summer make sure you have sunscreen and a hat as there are limited shaded areas and my other half got rather sun burnt
– There is a cafe, toilet facilities and gift shop.
– Located 20 min outside of Rotorua and 3.5 hours from Auckland.

If you want to see some of our other favourite things in New Zealand you can them here
Wine on Waiheke
Glowworms
Martha Mine
Auckland

1. always wanted to go to NZ! amazing

1. It’s a breathtaking country! Such amazing natural treasures.

2. Cool photos of a hot place 🙂 Yes, had done some walks around Waiotapu when we were motorhoming. Enjoyed your blog post, Melanie, and pleased you enjoyed visiting Aotearoa/New Zealand.

1. It’s a crazy place isn’t it! I loved NZ so much. You are very lucky to call it home!

3. jessica says:

this looks incredible. a good friend lives in new zealand and i canNOT wait until i go visit!!

1. Omg you are going to love it!!

4. Cate says:

Your pictures are breathtaking! New Zealand looks amazing!

1. Thanks so much! New Zealand is stunning

5. Retrato says:

That’s one of the reasons why I migrated here in NZ. Your words and images truly captured the essence of the place. Well done!

1. Lucky you getting to live there! Thanks for stopping by.

6. arcasela says:

Wow the views here look breathtaking! Looks almost like being on an alien planet. Absolutely stunning!

Amanda | http://ldnrose.com

1. It’s defo like being on an alien planet! Thanks for stopping by!

7. Wow, you are right – it looks like you are on another planet! Amazing.

8. Tamsin says:

Great photos! I can’t wait to visit New Zealand for the first time this year!! 🙂

1. You’ll love it there!!

9. diybutterflyblog says:

Wow this place looks gorgeous! I had never heard of it before reading your post about it! New Zealand is a destination at the top of my list of places to travel to. If I ever get there someday I’ll have to check this place out!

1. It’s such an intriguing place! If you get to NZ you really should give it a visit. Thanks for stopping by.

10. Lindsey says:

Beautiful!! Something you do not see everyday. Getting to read this opens your eyes to the beauty of the world. I personally do not travel that often for pleasure. I have never been out of the USA.

1. It certainly is somewhere you wouldn’t get to see everyday. Glad I could share my experiences with you!

11. Sophia Whitham says:

I have wanted to isit New Zealand for so long, I’m currently about half way through saving up to do so! This has made me even more excited to go. I honestly can’t wait 😀 xx

Sophia xx http://sophiawhitham.co.uk

1. Keep saving! It’s sooo worth it! X

12. Lisa says:

these pictures look amazing. I have been to Rotorura but not for many years. I don’t remember it being this beautiful

1. Thanks!! It’s a beautiful place.

13. Bree At Last says:

So beautiful and fascinating! I’m adding this to my bucket list right now;) I can’t believe I haven’t been to NZ yet….evidently I’m missing out on a some amazing sights.=)

1. It’s such a fascinating place to explore. Defo get it on that bucket list x

14. This looks incredible!

1. It’s an amazing place!

15. emfletche says:

Great pics! New Zealand is definitely on the must-go list!

1. Thanks so much. You have to go it’s amazing!!

16. thebeasley says:

Wow! This looks AMAZING! Fantastic photos too.

1. Such a cool place. Really fascinating. Thanks for stopping by!

17. noellekelly says:

New Zealand is just amazing, I need to go back there

1. It’s such a fascinating country isn’t it!

18. josypheen says:

This looks so cool! We’re going to NZ next year so I’ll add this to our list. 🙂

By the way, is Japan on your bucket list? If you liked this, I have a feeling you would LOVE the 7 hells of Beppu…

1. Yes add it to you list! You won’t regret it. Enjoy your trip. Ohhh thanks for the tip I’m off to google it now!

19. Denzil says:

That indeed does look like a different planet. Cool! Super post.

1. It’s crazy and with the sulphur smells it really does feel like a different world!

20. emilypageart says:

Do you ever wonder how they got the “don’t step here” signs in there without stepping there, lol?

1. Hahaha I said the exact same thing when we were there!!

21. Amazing stuff…..I’ll shiver at seeing the mud bubbles….it’s really wonderland…Those pictures are unedited? Love them

1. It’s so weird watching it bubble up. Some have a slight filter on them but tried to leave as untouched as possible. Such a surreal place!