14 Facts Every Traveller Should Know…

1.  The journey is always just as important as the destination. Yes in a strange way those 6 methods of transport and 30 odd hours of travelling is just as important as that picture perfect beach you end up on.
  2. Ask and more importantly listen to others on where to go and what to see. Read blogs, search Pinterest, read travel guides, ask friends in the flesh (or on social media), read reviews, lust over snaps on Instagram and get inspired by others. Recommendations from others might set you off to some place you’ve never heard or even let you find your new favourite place.
  3. Do you plan your life down to every minute or every day?- no. So you shouldn’t do the same with your trip. Have a rough plan but leave a bit up to chance you never know where you might find yourself or who you might meet.
  4. It’s ok for not every part of the trip to be amazing or as you expected it to be. Don’t dwell on it just let it go (try saying that without pretending your Elsa).  You don’t want it to ruin your overall adventure.
  5. Everyone looks shit after being on a long haul flight. The cankles, the dry skin, the greasy hair, dried drool on your chin (ok maybe that’s just me)  it’s ok. Sadly it’s unlikely you’ll be papped at the airport so don’t dwell on your post flight style.
  6. As Theodore Roosevelt said  ‘Comparison is the thief of joy’. Don’t compare yourself to that girl on the beach who is a bronzed toned goddess or to that traveller you met in the bar that’s been to more countries than you or has a better picture of a temple in Thailand. You are you and this is your journey. For everyone you compare yourself to there is someone who is probably using you as their compassion.
  7. Stay in contact with home. Sadly the world is changing and it’s not always as safe as what we once perceived it to be to explore all four corner of the world. Our news headlines are dominated with evil people trying to test us and while you are off exploring, people at home will worry about you. So check in with them. Thankfully with technology the way it is you should be able to connect fairly easily.
  8. Take photos – lots of them just remember that everyone isn’t going to want to see them when you return. You will though. A month, year or 10 years later you’ll be thankful for every photo Even that awkward selfie you took where you tried to take it  to look like you weren’t taking a selfie as you didn’t want everyone else there rolling their eyes at you. Future you will smile and be able to be transported back to the trip so suck it up and take all the pictures and selfies you want.
  9. Go away with your girlfriends. I love going away with my family and with my better half but what I love most is holidays with my girls. If you’ve not been on a girls holiday then grab your BFFS and book up a trip. It is the best thing you can do!
  10. Get lost. In a good way. I can assure you will find something you would never expect to find.
  11. Marvel. Be in awe. Appreciate the world. A sunset, a beautiful church, a street performer captivating a huge crowd, a waterfall wherever you end up take a moment to marvel at just how amazing this world is.
  12. Similar to the above take a moment without your phone and camera.  Slightly contracting myself for point 8 but… trust me sometimes you just need to put down the phone and look up. See the world with your eyes rather than behind a lens or through a tag in on Facebook.
  13. Labels suck. Who cares if your tourist, a traveller, a nomad, or if you are travelling halfway around the world or only going to the next town over to explore. It really doesn’t matter you are getting out there to see another part of the world and broaden your own viewpoint. There is nothing better than that.
  14. Have the best time you possibly can!

1. Really resonate with 2 and 3. When we went to Puerto Rico on our honeymoon, we read up on what other people had done beforehand, but we didn’t have any real script as to what we were going to do and we sort of winged it. Makes it much more interesting compared to having every second of the day planned out.

1. Wow Puerto Rico must have been amazing. Yes if it’s all planned out then you don’t have any surprises! Love a bit of winging it!

2. babyhenrylikes. says:

Getting lost scares me though! Love your website and love your way of writing! You speak truth. We spend so much time behind a camera, we should really put it down and embrace what we’re seeing!

1. Haha yeah I don’t mean get really really lost but just a little lost that you still now how to get home 😂 thank you so much. Xx

3. Amy says:

Great advice! I love the one about not planning every minute. It’s important to relax and enjoy yourself.

Liked by 2 people

1. Exactly! Thanks for stopping by x

4. StoryTeller says:

I loved points 8 and 10. Taking photos is crucial. Down the line, every photo helps us in remembering the trip that we had and the memories associated with it gets a kick start.

1. Exactly I still now look at photos from trips on the past and they always make me smile. Thanks for stopping by!

5. Ok, those are 14 points to ponder before travelling. You write straight from your heart and only the truth. Taking photos and travelling with friends are most exciting than better halves. Because you are lot relaxed and less worried.

1. Thanks so much for stopping by.

6. Ritu says:

Great thoughts to consider the next time I travel!

7. Get lost and explore, no plan is the best plan 🙂 Love it xx

Liked by 2 people

8. thebeasley says:

Completely agree with no. 10 (and the rest too). Getting lost whilst travelling has provided some of the best times for me. It’s when I’ve done most of my marvelling.

1. Me too! I just try not to get really really lost 😂

9. Debbie H says:

Great post and your love of travel is just delightful to see. Glad to be a part of it all and like the point about staying in touch with family especially in this day and age. Xx.

1. Thought you’d like that bit! X

10. great tips. I used to go away with my girlfriends a lot, but we have two little kids now, so we rarely get time just the two of us, let alone time for friends. but I’d really like to start that again soon. actually, I’ve barely been travelling lately. ah, well, life’s a journey …

1. Ha yes Life is a journey and I’m sure you’ll get off on some trips soon. A lot of my friends have started having little ones so the girls holidays have slowed down or in some cases only go away for 1 or 2 nights.

11. Loved this – especially #9 (I do this once a year!!) and #10 (getting lost is always interesting!!). You have a new follower!

1. Yay thanks for following!

12. Great advice. And I completely relate to the post-flight funk that takes at least 2 showers and a nap to wash off.

1. It’s horrid isn’t it! But as painful as the flight can be it’s totally worth it!

13. Great advice. #3 is something I truly believe in. Read, learn and make a rough itinerary, but don’t follow the guide to the tee. If you see something else outside of your itinerary that attracts your eyes, just go for it and see where it takes you. Because surprise is the spice of life, especially while travelling.

1. 100% agree. Sometimes finding a hidden gem just makes the trip!

14. Janice Wald says:

Hi,
    I loved the quote at #6 and the photo of the waterfall. I travel, my daughter traveled, so I found the post interesting.
    Janice

1. It’s a brilliant quote isn’t it. So relatable for everything.

15. I get so disappointed when people start arguing over visitor/traveller/tourist- does it really matter?? You are exploring somewhere new, and that should be celebrated, not pushed down. Enjoy everywhere, no matter what!

1. You and me both!! It winds me up so much. Surely everyone just getting out and seeing new places is what is more important not the bloody label!

16. A lot of these tips are great wisdom tips for life as well. Thanks 🙂

1. Yes so true they could certainly be for life as well! Thanks so much for stopping by!

17. ladylebz says:

Totally agree with your points! Traveling is just awesome 🙂

1. It really is isn’t it!

18. The journey is one of the most important parts! Soak up every part of traveling!

1. Exactly. So of my funniest travel stories are from the journeys to destinations. Thanks for stopping by!

19. Steve says:

The journey there is the exciting part, coming back part is a bit eprubbish though isn’t it?

20. Bre Paulson says:

During our last trip to a destination, I left my phone AND camera behind during a day excursion. It was both freeing and weird! But, I’m so glad I did.

1. Wow that’s strong going. Totally living in the moment. Bet you felt naked!

21. Tereza says:

These are great tips – I’m guilty of overplanning and then stressing on the day because I can’t squeeze everything into 24 hours, really need to work on that haha x

1. Thanks so much. It can be hard not to especially when there is so many things to see. I also need to go easy on myself when I don’t get to see everything I wanted and not let it stress me out. Just have to remind myself that I can always go back again one day.

22. Kai Darul says:

Lovely pieces of advice. I like planning my trips but I like some surprises too. So I dont really plan 100%. I leave about 20-30% of my trip to just roam around wherever my feet take me without any plans. Yep, I just walk around and take public transport.^_^ I love it and I always explore more.

1. I think that’s the only way to be. It’s far to ridged if you’ve completely planned it all out. Finding hidden gems or places your weren’t expecting is the best part

23. ‘Comparison is the thief of joy’. This is the best thing I’ve read all day. I love this post. Traveling is so important and it’s really crucial for travelers to open up their senses when they discover a new place!

1. It’s such a good quote isn’t it!

24. countryheartdeb says:

I love the thought of getting lost somewhere and discovering things no one else has! Im off to vegas in february with my little sister and cant wait!

1. Ohh lucky you I’ve not made it to Vegas yet but I’m sure you’ll Find some awesome places to explore

25. Loved every bit of this post. Yeah, the photos carry the best memories and it’s fun to see them years later because, with them, we relive every little joy of those moments.

1. Thanks so much. I love looking through old pics it just brings it all back!

26. Natalie says:

I am almost 30 years old and want to travel. I have only been to 3 states :(. This list was so very helpful. I definitely love the safety tips for keeping in touch with home as well as the don’t plan everything to the last minute. That sucks the fun out of it. I know I will enjoy the world with my kids once I get things running. This post was definitely a boost!

P.S. We’re (the kids and I) visiting San Diego in July. I can not wait!

1. San Diego will be amazing and even better that you get to take the kids with you! I loved i when my parents took me when I was younger.

27. joyfuliowan says:

I love to “get lost.” I still dont drive with my GPS on. As long as I know the direction that is the way I travel.

1. Haha love the no gps when driving.

28. Loved reading.. esp point #8, strongly agree with you on that! 🙂
    Cheers!

29. taking time with out your phone is some of the best advice you can give some one, its so hard to really enjoy something and be present otherwise!

1. Exactly we are all far to attached to them these days. It does us good not looking at a screen all the time!

30. Julie Cao says:

So agree with #3 and #10. Have something planned for the trip is always great and safe, but impromptus trip always gives the best surprises.

1. Exactly! I don’t get how some times people can have it all planned out you’ve got to leave some of the trip up to chance