Spread The Love like Wild Flowers

The world is a challenging place at the moment. Whilst terrorism is not new it is becoming more and more prevalent in our lives. My first awareness of terrorism was September 11. I remember being so naive in thinking it was an accident and that people wouldn’t want to cause that level of harm. Now though, there is barely a month that goes by without an attack or incident somewhere in the world and everyone is doing their best to stay strong, not to be afraid and not to let the terrorists win. But it’s hard.

I woke up to a group text message from my best friends at home in Australia saying ‘ok, ok enough is enough. I think you should come home now to live’

I know it was out of care and love but I replied that I wasn’t going to live in fear and move home because some shitty people have acted in an inhumane way. If we are afraid, if we are angry, if we change our lives based on their behaviour then they have won and I will not let that happen.

I spent the morning watching the news unfold about the attack in London last night, interviews, footage from phones and powerful people from all over the world condem the actions of these terrible people and praise the stories of heroics. Not superheroes but people from the general public standing up and helping, caring, showing love for people they have never met. The speed at which the police acted and their bravery of running into the action when most people run away from it. I’ve then spent this evening watching the outpouring of strength, togetherness and love at the One Love concert in Manchester. Most of the people in the audience had been at the Manchester bombing, They had experienced the fear first hand, they maybe have been recovering from their injuries, they most likely know someone who was injured or worse had their life taken but they still came out to show their love and support for their city and the victims.

There was some brilliant artists performing but one song really stuck out for me. The Black Eyed Peas came out and sang Where is the Love and listening to the words (and then googling them to make sure I heard right) they are just as relevant now as they were back in 2003.

‘Yo’, whatever happened to the values of humanity

Whatever happened to the fairness and equality

Instead of spreading love we’re spreading animosity

Lack of understanding, leading us away from unity’

‘But if you only have love for your own race

Then you only leave space to discriminate

And to discriminate only generates hate

And when you hate then you’re bound to get irate, yeah’

It’s scary that words written in 2003 are still so appropriate some 14 years later and scarily enough maybe still relevant in another 14 years.

This isn’t something we’ll solve alone, we need to do it together. I always believe that love will beat hate. Yes, I appreciate this sounds a little idealistic but let’s leave the political issues to the politicians, the crime fighting to the amazing police and armies across the world whose sole job is to protect the general public, the healing and rehabilitation to the doctors and nurses. What we can do ourselves is not share stupid memes/facebook rants, not turn our hurt to anger and misdirect it at a whole religion instead of the radicalised ones, not change our daily habits, keep doing the things we love, go to concerts, travel, go out for dinner and drinks, visit tourist areas or just get on plane to travel the world. I for one refuse to be scared. We’ve all only got a short time on this beautiful planet and I’m not going to let these misdirected people ruin it for me.

The more they try to pull us apart the more we need to stick together. The more destruction they cause the more courage we need to show. The more they try to hurt us the more love we need to give.

We will not let them win.

We need to spread the love like wildflowers.

Full lyrics of Where is the Love if you are interested
What’s wrong with the world, mama
People livin’ like they ain’t got no mamas

I think the whole world addicted to the drama

Only attracted to things that’ll bring you trauma

Overseas, yeah, we try to stop terrorism
But we still got terrorists here livin’

In the USA, the big CIA

The Bloods and The Crips and the KKK
But if you only have love for your own race

Then you only leave space to discriminate

And to discriminate only generates hate

And when you hate then you’re bound to get irate, yeah
Madness is what you demonstrate

And that’s exactly how anger works and operates

Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight

Take control of your mind and meditate

Let your soul gravitate to the love, y’all, y’all
People killin’, people dyin’

Children hurt and you hear them cryin’

Can you practice what you preach?

Or would you turn the other cheek?
Father, Father, Father help us

Send some guidance from above

‘Cause people got me, got me questionin’

Where is the love (Love)
Where is the love (The love)

Where is the love (The love)

Where is the love, the love, the love
It just ain’t the same, old ways have changed

New days are strange, is the world insane?

If love and peace are so strong

Why are there pieces of love that don’t belong?
Nations droppin’ bombs

Chemical gasses fillin’ lungs of little ones

With ongoin’ sufferin’ as the youth die young

So ask yourself is the lovin’ really gone
So I could ask myself really what is goin’ wrong

In this world that we livin’ in people keep on givin’ in

Makin’ wrong decisions, only visions of them dividends

Not respectin’ each other, deny thy brother

A war is goin’ on but the reason’s undercover
The truth is kept secret, it’s swept under the rug

If you never know truth then you never know love

Where’s the love, y’all, come on (I don’t know)

Where’s the truth, y’all, come on (I don’t know)

Where’s the love, y’all
People killin’, people dyin’

Children hurt and you hear them cryin’

Can you practice what you preach?

Or would you turn the other cheek?
Father, Father, Father help us

Send some guidance from above

‘Cause people got me, got me questionin’

Where is the love (Love)
Where is the love (The love)?

Where is the love (The love)?

Where is the love (The love)?

Where is the love (The love)?

Where is the love (The love)?

Where is the love (The love)?

Where is the love, the love, the love?
I feel the weight of the world on my shoulder

As I’m gettin’ older, y’all, people gets colder

Most of us only care about money makin’

Selfishness got us followin’ the wrong direction
Wrong information always shown by the media

Negative images is the main criteria

Infecting the young minds faster than bacteria

Kids wanna act like what they see in the cinema
Yo’, whatever happened to the values of humanity

Whatever happened to the fairness and equality

Instead of spreading love we’re spreading animosity

Lack of understanding, leading us away from unity
That’s the reason why sometimes I’m feelin’ under

That’s the reason why sometimes I’m feelin’ down

There’s no wonder why sometimes I’m feelin’ under

Gotta keep my faith alive ’til love is found

Now ask yourself
Where is the love?

Where is the love?

Where is the love?

Where is the love?
Father, Father, Father, help us

Send some guidance from above

‘Cause people got me, got me questionin’

Where is the love?
Sing with me y’all:

One world, one world (We only got)

One world, one world (That’s all we got)

One world, one world

And something’s wrong with it (Yeah)

Something’s wrong with it (Yeah)

Something’s wrong with the wo-wo-world, yeah

We only got

(One world, one world)

That’s all we got

(One world, one world)

1. Debbie H says:

You’ve said this beautifully! We worry about you too but these things could happen anywhere anytime. The lyrics of the song are so relevant. Thanks 💕

2. Helen Jones says:

Beautifully expressed 🙂 I watched the concert last night too, so much love and emotion, it was wonderful to see. I thought the BEP song was very appropriate too. And you’re right, if we let fear in, let it change our lives and how we live them, then they win. One of the great things about Britain is that they are defiant in the face of such things and will come together as one. Long may it be so xx

3. Reblogged this on Global Housesitter x2 and commented:
    The last week our concerns have been with family members back home in New Zealand and Australia who have had significant health issues.

Then another bombing happens.

I removed myself away from the frenzied media reports sharing story after story. It was not until today that I wanted to read people’s views on yet another tragic story. One story I read and agree with is from The Wandering Darlings.

It is worthing taking a minute or two to read it.

4. ljdove23 says:

Beautiful post. I have been devastated by the terrorist acts this year especially, even more so as Manchester is our home city and I had friends at the concert and two of the victims were from our town. It really opens your eyes to it doesn’t it? I’m not sure what the answer is but I really hope that something changes, where is the love? So so true.

5. Thank you. Positivity feels like it’s in short supply lately. The world has been getting slowly scarier, but we need to be reminded that there are good people and we cannot let the darkness take over.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks for your kind words. We all need positivity

6. Helen says:

Beautiful post. Those lyrics are so relevant right now.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks so much. It’s crazy how relevant they still are

7. dearashblog1 says:

What an inspirational song that will never get old. Thank you for your sincerity, it is much needed during this broken time!

Much love,
    Ashley | dearash.com

Liked by 2 people

8. I wasn’t able to watch the entire concert but from what I saw it was so heartwarming to see so many artist come together.

Yes and those lyrics are so strong and powerful. These days we need to lean back on love and unity and together as a people, country, world – we will stand strong !

1. We certainly will stand strong. Thanks so much for your comments.

9. Nita Ho says:

The words in the lyric really resonate, there seems to be so much hatred around that it’s good to read something so beautiful and inspirational. Thank you

1. Thank you for your kind words x

10. Nichole says:

What a beautiful article, I often read about the terrorist attacks and it is scary at times to think this happens so close to home. My main thought is what do they get from this? You have to be sick in the head not to have compassion for someone else enough where it hurts to see someone in pain.

1. I wonder the same thing. How do they see their actions as getting somewhere. The more they do it the more people seem to pull together.

11. Ana De-Jesus says:

It was so frightening, I happened to be nearby and I was scared senseless. People were telling me that I need to move out of London but I will not leave. We cannot stop our lives because cowards are trying to kill innocents. We must fight back and stay strong. Hope you are ok x

1. Oh wow that must have been so scary. I hope you are ok. Exactly the stronger we are the harder it gets for them. X

12. Katie says:

Love that song. Lyrics can be so deep and meaningful,and really resonate.

Music really can and does connect people too!

Love wins, I agree, let’s spread that around!

13. james says:

With all that has happened in the world today, this is a lovely piece to read about.

14. Akshat Jain says:

What an amazing song. Loved the lyrics. Thanks a lot for sharing. I agree that positivity is the best gift that we can give to anyone!

1. I hadn’t thought of the song in years then when they played it summed up the recent situation so well I had to share it in a post. Thanks for your comments

15. toastycritic says:

The love seems to be very missing from so many things these days. It’s very unfortunate how much it seems to be gone from everywhere. It’s scary out there. But I think it’s mostly because people are scared that they do these things.

1. It is isn’t but we can get love back in the world. The more people spread it the more it will stick.

16. this is sweet !!! if we understand power of love !! we won’t fighting !! your poem is remarkably superb !! keep it up

17. Jack says:

Listening to the Black Eyed Peas performing this song at the One Love for Manchester was so moving… and the lyrics are so appropriate. Terrorists are almost achieving their goal of making feel unsafe and unsecure at our own home. Let’s stand up for our freedom.

1. Be strong and your right we need to stand up for our freedom. Thanks for stopping by

18. alisonrost says:

In my mind I kept coming back to your family’s comment about coming home. When the world is scary, it’s so natural to want to circle the wagons and hunker down. You’re so right though, terrorism isn’t going away, and we have to stand against it in every way we can. Especially with the message of love. Beautifully written!

1. Thank you so much. Yes it totally understand where they are coming from but we all can’t lock ourselves away. We need to keep going and keep spreading the love around.

19. Yukti says:

Beautiful article about spreading love. Nice poem and I agree with you completely.

20. Just to let you know that I have got feedback about how much your post resonated with them. Great post about such an emotive subject!

1. Thanks so much Suz that’s awesome to hear. I’ve had lots of love for this post so I think it hopefully summed up how a lot of people were feeling. X

21. lex says:

the world needs more of this right now, i also needed this so much, going through a few phases now. thanks alot.

1. So glad it helped you! Thanks for stopping by!

22. chiimmiii says:

Sch relevent lyrics and touching article. loved reading this!

23. Elizabeth Seal says:

Aw such a lovely article! It makes me feel so scared that people might turn to violence and hurting innocent people in order to confront terrorism, I’m so scared of human rights being taken apart so that any kind of violence is possible >< I fear for the attacks but what comes after them also, it makes me feel so happy to see those who put love first and believe in coming together to look after each other 😀 xx

elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara
    (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

24. Nay @ beautyaddictmama says:

Beautiful post. I have to say my Sunday was spent the same as yours and I’m just in shock at what is being done to my country. However, they won’t beat us.

It is sad that 14 years later the song is still pertinent. I hope in a other 14 years that it won’t be.

25. Was shocked when I got to know about the London tragedy. In times like these, it is easy to blame a particular sect and take extreme measures like the President of US is calling out. However, we should stand together and not blame a particular sect of people. May the people on whom this tragedy befell rest in peace.

26. Such a beautifully written post! Love does conquer all ❤️

27. Ritu says:

Well said 😙

28. I’m nodding my head in agreement here.

29. angelanoelauthor says:

Every time I read a post from a good person, calling out to other good people to keep trying, to keep going, I feel more alive. Thank you for this.

30. collegeceliackc says:

Thank you for the beautiful reminder that there are still people focusing on spreading love, even during darker days.

31. Your post was really interesting and I was able to relate. The song you chose to include couldn’t not have been more fitting ! I love what it stands for and the message it puts off. Good read 🙂

32. lisa says:

Spread the love that is what it is all about! This is inspiring and should be spread around far and wide. Well written, thank you xx

33. pennyglobetrove says:

Hate gets us nowhere. Love is what turns the world around. Sure there are some nasty people out there but as long as there are good people in the world, we need to keep believing in a better future.

34. Yeshi says:

You have inspired me with this post, just as I’m sure you’ve inspired many others. The September 11th attacks was the first time I saw acts of terrorism and I’ll never forget watching in disbelief that it was happening. I’m going to be spreading the love like wild flowers too!

35. I love this .. The words inspire. They are true and facts.

-FarahFaz – http://www.worldoffaz.com/

36. Helene Choo says:

Yes, this is exactly my sentiment. Even though it sounds very hippie, I believe in countering hate with love. There’s really not much else we can do apart from loving more fiercely than ever.

37. I love this post! I’m a fan of blackeyedpeas and yeah that song just went through a hole in my heart, I can feel the sorrow, discouragement, sadness and all negative stuffs that you feel. I hope this war to have peace will end so we people get to be finally free.

38. digitaltravelg says:

Thank you highlighting a very important and touching topic and for your message to spread peace and love. I loved the lyrics at the end too. Fantastic post to raise awareness.

39. WhodoIdo says:

I totally agree with you – we need to stand together and not let them win. In the words of Martin Luther King “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

40. Shaily says:

Very touching! It’s important that we use our common sense and not get deluded by the misguiding posts of social media. We should use social media to spread love and not hatred. And we should not let fear dominate our inner strength. Thanks for sharing this post!

41. finja says:

You are such a talented writer!!! ❤

42. effcaa says:

You are such a talented writer!!
    x finja ~ http://www.effcaa.co

43. aliciafowler says:

Couldn’t agree more. We need to still stand up when others knocm us down, but we need love most. Thank for you sharing.

44. I am glad to have come across this post that talks about peace! As the lyrics of the beautiful song go, we are only chasing money and self satisfying targets! What about humanity. I am totally with you and I think we should all blog about Humanity, Environment and other things that will stay on forever a bit more in our blogs. May 1 out of 4 blogs in a month could be for such content! Is that too much to ask for ?